Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Our Heroine is Humbled by a Fish

I don't know who is this bloke Matthew Fish, but he's Catholic and wicked smart. His review of last Sunday's The Sopranos was awesome and addictive, and I don't even watch the show!

Bonus, his review mentioned Walker Percy, and in this one sentence Fish clarified everything I'd ever read by him, and never quite grasped.

Walker Percy spent his life as a philosopher and a novelist pointing out how we cannot objectify or figure out the self; despite all the knowledge of science, man remains just as much a mystery to himself, nor can he save himself from his own despair, the eventual inanity and boredom of a vain life.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Grazie! Although it seems from perusing your blog, your intellect is up to the higher-brow ruminations of yours truly. In fact, too bad there aren't more girls like you: when I was an undergrad, my friends and I often bemoaned the paucity of intellectually capable and exciting women. I'm glad you've enjoyed Walker Percy--have you read his "Lost In the Cosmos" yet? And get to "Canticle For Leibowitz," STAT! And I didn't see Cormac McCarthy or Ian McEwan on those lists... you might want to grab "All the Pretty Horses," and "Saturday." P.S. I'm jealous that you get to live in the greatest city on Earth; for my part, I have only two more weeks of choking on the anti-place Dallas. All the best, Matthew