Monday, February 19, 2007

Our Heroine Explains What She is About

To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born. Just kidding, y'all! Don't panic, we haven't even gotten to Dickens yet -- it's just that Homer doesn't have any good heroine's origin lines (that I know of, which is sort of the point of this blog).

Who am I? Alas! I am a very daydream-y and distractable bookworm. What does that mean? It means that despite a degree in English, there is an awful lot of wonderful stuff out there that I've never read, either because the vagaries of college syllabus-planning meant something was never assigned to me, or, because I was too busy daydreaming about marrying Lord Byron to actually pay attention to reading Lord Byron.

I've tried to correct the oversight. In fact, every year for the past five years, my New Year's resolution has been to read the big five works of the Western Canon (aka: the 800 lb gorillas of Western lit): The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, The Inferno and Paradise Lost. And every year, I get to Book Three of The Iliad, love every word of it, but get distracted by the new Oprah magazine, or Lost, or some spy thriller from the 1930's (Graham Greene, you are a rascal, you are!), and I put it aside, never to be revisited until the following January.

This year I intend to finish what I started, get through all five, and tell y'all about it. Of course, being who I am, it is likely you will also be peppered with my thoughts on food, fashion, the aforementioned Lost, movies, friends and family, and finding the perfect duvet cover.

No comments: